Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cougar our love...




Our cat "cougar"named after our Alma mater team at Washington state University, didn't enter our lives as newly weds in a peaceful manner.

I(yes,just I) brought the little kitten home to a very dismayed Justin. Dismayed because he had specifically told me we could not get a pet. Being in our first year of marriage and 2nd year of pharmacy school it was hard enough feeding ourselves,never mind animals. This was the reasoning of my very logical husband.
I, never known for being logical,had decided that Justin, never having a pet growing up, needed this experience desperately! Maybe I was still testing the waters of his authority or just knowing a tear shed and a bat of my eyes would immediately make him relent, either way, I was not prepared for the response I received.
After a day and a night went by of shocking silence from a couple who normally never stopped talking I admitted my defeat of the battle. I silently prepared to gather up the perfect, sweet, little kitten and take her back to the cruel shelter, the minute my shift ended that night.
On my way up our hillI I mentally prepared the apology speech and delectable dinner I would present to my new husband, as I truly was very sorry and disapointed in myself for dishonoring his request.
I trotted up the stairs, sad about the kitten but pleased at the maturity I felt I was reaching as a wife.
I opened our apartment door to Justin and the cat curled up in a perfect snooze together.
The little kitten had swiped up his heart! He talked of what a great kitten she really was and that loving a pet really was something he always did want to experience. Of course the one stipulation would be that she must be named "cougar" :)

Six happy,rocky,grace filled years later we are happy to have our "cougar" curl up with us still.

She is currently in love with my electric blanket my friend gave me recently, so I took a picture of her on it tonight. Cougar not only is a sweetheart,but every time I look at her I'm reminded of that fabulous first year.

2 comments: