Monday, November 29, 2010

Shopping for a big reason

On Saturday I went to one of our local churches that was hosting a shopping fair for the amazing organization, "ten thousand villages". They are a fair trade non-profit retailer committed to introducing artisans around the world, normally with little chance of being known, to us....shoppers. When we purchase their amazing creations we are supporting their families, providing them with income for food, housing,education and healthcare.
I absolutely love the idea of helping these precious people in such a way, as well as finding unique and beautiful gifts for my loved ones!


This is the sculptor who created the beautiful hippo I found at the market on Saturday. Sculpted out of kisii soapstone only found in Kenya. I have this little hippo resting on our tabletop. He reminds me to pray for this country that has taken hold of my heart, Africa.(Which I will be writing more about soon :))

Hippo

Shop at this great cause yourself at www.tenthousandvillages.com

3 comments:

  1. thank you so much for the introduction to these amazing artist!! i am so excited to learn about about them.
    love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested to hear about Africa taking hold of your heart.. :)
    I recently found some sandles that are made by women in Africa, sounds really close to what this is, they are darling shoes. I'll have to find the link and send it to you.
    Happy December dear friend, enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jessie,
    Here is that link for the cute shoes made in Africa for a cause :)
    www.ssekodesigns.com

    ReplyDelete