Saturday, December 4, 2010

Christmas Decorations...


Christmas 2008
Thanks to a conversation with my Aunt I have decided to forge ahead and decorate for Christmas.
The pain that comes with almost every ornament I pull out will be worth the warm feelings I have as I look around at my decorated home.
My Mother made sure all of us girls had Christmas decorations for our homes once we were married. I remember her taking me to the stores in Washington on one of her visits and having me pick out the decorations I liked. She loved dreaming with me and setting up the "Christmas look" our house would have. As young as I can remember decorating for Christmas was important to my Mom. In New Hampshire she would decorate our 1700's colonial home with beautiful white candles in every window, then we would all bundle up and walk down our road just so we could walk back marveling at our Christmas wonderland looking house.
When we moved to Alaska there was so much joy surrounding us as we would take out each ornament and remember...Three years ago, all of us kids along with our spouses were coming home for Christmas. Mom and her friend Rosa spent days decorating the Lodge in preparation for our home-coming. I still remember how beautiful it looked, the effort she put into all of it was breathtaking and something I will never forget.

Even last year, though only days before she passed away, she begged us to put up her decorations. We hung our stockings by her bed.My sisters and I painfully decorated the second floor the way we remember she used to. When we were done, my brother carried her down the stairs to see our handy work. She had soft tears in her eyes as she looked all around excitedly, she was so proud of us, I remember being so thankful we pushed ourselves through it.
In the foyer a large Christmas tree was always set up. Halfway through decorating it is when my Mom took her last turn and I stepped away from it half finished. Throughout the next few days every time I went down the stairs that tree stared at me, ugly, undone, a reminder of what was happening. Before our family arrived my Mother's dear(same decorating friend) came over and finished the tree. The comfort that, that gave me was so precious.
So, although even now I want to change my mind, I am determined to dress my home this year, with the ornaments my sweet Mom gave me. I'll post pictures soon.:) Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're decorating. Just what your mom would want you to do. I love you! Karen

    ReplyDelete